All things that are written on this website are about our experiences and what have
worked for us, or general information only. We are not telling you to do any of those
things mentioned and we do not endorse any products found on these pages. We simply
want to share with you what has helped us. Hope that you enjoy reading our posts
and please come back regularly to read more!
Niche Topics (Food and Drinks) offers a large collection of delicious food and drink
recipes to help you decide what to cook, whether it’s a family dinner, lunchbox for
the kids, or entertaining friends at home. Each recipe promises a completely different
taste experience, and all are really easy-to-make.
Tantalizing appetizers that are economical and resemble sushi without the carbs!
Cheese and Ham Whirls
By Kate Miller
No one needs to be an experienced baker to make cheese whirls. Simple yet exciting
on your palate, these bite-sized nibbles are more than jut a quick snack. Cheese
whirls make impressive appetizers for parties, or you can enjoy them as a light lunch.
This recipe is also a good place to use up those ends of cheese that have gone hard.
Cheese and Ham Whirls Recipe
6 ounces self-raising flour
salt and pepper
2 ounces butter
2 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
6 pieces ham (Capicola, or whatever you like)
fresh oregano leaves, chopped (onion, spring onion or chives are also great)
How to make cheese whirls
1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
2. Grease or line a baking sheet with nonstick baking paper.
3. Sift the flour with the salt and pepper. Rub in the butter and add the cheese.
4. Combine all ingredients together. Gradually add the beaten egg, a little at a
time, until you get a dough with a firm rolling consistency.
5. Roll out the dough, to about ¼ inch thick rectangle. Layer on thinly sliced ham
and then sprinkle with oregano leaves.
6. Roll up firmly, like a Swiss roll. Neaten up the edges and cut into 8 pieces.
7. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, until pale golden in color and
firm to touch. Enjoy!