All things that are written on this website are about our experiences and what have
worked for us, or general information only. We are not telling you to do any of those
things mentioned and we do not endorse any products found on these pages. We simply
want to share with you what has helped us. Hope that you enjoy reading our posts
and please come back regularly to read more!
Niche Topics (Food and Drinks) offers a large collection of delicious food and drink
recipes to help you decide what to cook, whether it’s a family dinner, lunchbox for
the kids, or entertaining friends at home. Each recipe promises a completely different
taste experience, and all are really easy-to-make.
By Aziza Noor
I get very excited with all the baking weeks before Hari Raya Puasa (Lebaran). After
all, according to most, I bake the best Kueh Lapis (also known as Kek Lapis, Kueh
Lapis Legit, Spek Koek, Spekkuk) in the entire clan! Kueh lapis is a traditional
Indonesian layered spice cake that's not-so-healthy with lots of butter and egg yolks.
A good kueh lapis should be moist with a subtle touch of mixed spice and "paper-thin"
layered. I must say that kek lapis is extremely time-consuming to bake but it's really
worth the effort when you see smiling faces admiring the thin those super thin layers.....mmmmm......
Kek Lapis Recipe
360 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
10 large egg yolks
5 large egg white
180 grams castor sugar, separated
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
4 tablespoons fresh milk
60 grams plain flour
3 teaspoons mixed spice
How to make kuih lapis
1. Beat butter until creamy; set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks with 90 grams sugar.
3. Beat egg whites with remaining sugar till still peaks form; add cream of tartar.
4. Add egg yolk mixture to butter. Add milk and flour; stir to mix well.
5. Next, fold in egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture. Add spice and mix well.
6. Heat grill to moderately hot. Line a cake tin and grease well.
7. To start the first layer, put in 2 tablespoons of cake mixture into cake tin and
spread evenly with the back of a spoon.
8. Grill for about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove cake tin from grill, gently prick cake
surface with a tooth-pick and press lightly with an aluminum presser.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for subsequent layers until the cake batter is used up
10. Remove kek lapis from cake tin and allow to cool on a wire mesh.
Well done, now relax and admire your efforts!
*For non-halal kueh lapis, you might want to add 2 tablespoons rum or brandy to the