All things that are written on this website are about our experiences and what have
worked for us, or general information only. We are not telling you to do any of those
things mentioned and we do not endorse any products found on these pages. We simply
want to share with you what has helped us. Hope that you enjoy reading our posts
and please come back regularly to read more!
Niche Topics ( Health and Fitness) is dedicated to help you lead a happy and healthy
life. We provide the latest updates on nutrition, dieting, exercise, fitness, home
remedies and natural cures for common illnesses, and other health-related topics.
Get in shape with us and keep your body running at it’s peak!
Do yourself a huge favor, and look closely at your unpolished fingernails under a
good light. Did you know that your nails can be indicators of possible health problems?
Many diseases and conditions manifest themselves on the nails, and if you know how
to read these signs, you could be warned in advance about a health condition you
were unaware of.
Nails Signs of Disease
1. Complete nail loss is possibly due to trauma.
2. Loose nail plate can be caused by injury, nail psoriasis, fungal or bacterial
infections, medicines, chemotherapy, thyroid disease,
Raynaud’s phenomenon or lupus.
3. Wasting away of nails or nail loses luster and becomes smaller may be a sign of
injury or disease.
4. Thickened nail plate can indicate poor circulation, fungal infection or a mild,
persistent trauma to the nail.
5. Pitted nails sometimes with yellow to brown "oil" spots may be a sign of eczema
or psoriasis, or a hair loss condition.
6. Very soft nails are likely to be caused by contact with strong alkali. It may
be also associated with malnutrition, endocrine problems or chronic arthritis.
7. Spoon-shaped nails may indicate an iron deficiency or a thyroid disease.
8. Club-like nails growing around swollen finger ends are indicative of chronic respiratory
or heart problems, or cirrhosis of the liver.
9. Horizontal ridges on fingernails may suggest an injury, infection or a nutrition
10. Longitudinal ridges could be signs of aging, poor absorption of vitamins and
minerals, thyroid disease, or kidney failure.
11. Split, brittle fingernails may be due to nail dryness, nails in contact with
irritating substances such as detergents, chemicals or polish remover; or a silica
12. Infected nails (red, tender, swollen, pus) may be signs of a bacterial or yeast
13. Overlarge moons on nails may show an overactive thyroid, genetics, or a self-induced
trauma (habit tic).
14. No moons on fingernail may suggest an underactive thyroid.
Discolored Nails Health Indicators
1. Colorless nails may indicate anemia.
2. Red or deep pink nails can indicate a tendency to poor peripheral circulation.
3. Blue nails may show that the blood may not be receiving adequate oxygen due to
respiratory disorders, cardiovascular problems, or lupus erythermatosus.
4. Yellow nails could indicate fungus, diabetes, psoriasis, use of tetracycline,
5. White, crumbly, soft nails may be a result of a fungus infection.
6. Half white/half pink nails may indicate fungal infection or, more seriously, kidney
7. Small white patches on fingernails are usually a sign of injury to the nail matrix.
8. Purple or black nails are usually caused by trauma, or may also be a sign of vitamin
B12 deficiency. A brown or black streak that begins at the base of the nail and extends
to its tip could be a diagnostic clue to a potentially dangerous melanoma.
If you happen to spot any of these signs on your fingernails, don't panic. Ask your
doctor or pharmacist for advice. Don't wait, nail that health problem now.
What foods and vitamins can help tackle dry skin problem from within and let your
natural beauty shine through? Discover how to restore beautiful younger-looking skin
without overpriced anti-aging creams.